Originally built in 1922 for renowned book distributor J.K. Gill, the eponymous 10-story office building in downtown Portland has served as Multnomah County’s Gladys McCoy Health Department headquarters since 1998. With new owners Urban Renaissance Group and Gaw Capital USA, the interior of this historic downtown landmark is being modernized into 100,000 square feet of creative office space.
The design delicately balances aesthetic and character improvements, with the client’s desire to minimize impact to the building’s historic designation — helping avoid jurisdictional delays that would compromise the project’s viability.
A refresh at the street level includes new storefront windows to replicate the original open-window configuration, along with new canopies at the two primary building entrances. These enhancements provide a more active and inviting presence to the public. A refined entrance lobby and coffee bar invites guests inside. Tenant amenities at the lower level span a fitness center and open lounge, to bicycle storage and commuter showers.
Tenant floors will receive new high-efficiency mechanical systems, and gender neutral and accessible restrooms. A large skylight transforms the penthouse floor, which formerly served as storage space.