Formerly the Meier and Frank Warehouse, this historic nationally-registered seven-story building has been converted to 170 residential “loft” condominiums with parking. The original warehouse was comprised of three buildings. The north-half was originally built in 1923, designed by the noted local architects, Sutton and Whitney. Later additions in 1958 and 1972 completed the block and created one of the most prominent warehouse buildings in Portland. In 2002, major structural alterations and seismic upgrades were carried out when a proposed telecomunications hotel was planned but never realized.
Today the interior space is seamless. Only the structural columns provide an indication of the building’s history. Working with the original heavy concrete structure and the later inserted massive shear walls, the design restores and enhances the warehouse’s bold style and character, creating extraordinarily dramatic interior spaces. 24 ft. high by 18 ft. wide recessed windows extend two floors on the south-side, creating private balconies for two-story penthouse units on the top floor.
The block exterior maintains the historic look of the original buildings. The mullions have been restored on the first floor of the north building and all other windows were specified to match the original design. The Avenue is fronted to the north by a pedestrian street and public way. The street cobbles have been restored and dock terraces added for the ground floor town-house lofts.