The Crane Building, designed in the American Movement Commercial Style, was built in 1909 as an office, sales center and warehouse for the Crane Plumbing Company. The building, located in Portland’s 13th Avenue Historic District, occupies a half block and has two main components. The western half of the site is occupied by a six story tower with retail on the first and offices on the second and third floors. The eastern half is occupied by a high-ceilinged one story space with a loading dock along 13th Avenue.
The renovation design for the building includes a seismic upgrade and conversion of the original six story structure into a combined retail, office and apartment building, with the addition of one level on the roof to accommodate two penthouse condominiums. The former one story staging area includes 8,500 sq ft of restaurant space. The basement of the building contains parking and storage.